Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'm being picked on.....pout

I am a yarn snob, I do not apologize. Apparently this offends some people, they can feel free not read what I write or post. Snob usually gives the impression that one is determined and could be rude on occasion. This is not my intent but I don't want to be slammed for preferring Cashmere to Acrylic. I do not have gobs of money but I save for what's worth my time to spend knitting. So as my blog is called I AM A YARN SNOB!!!!!!! Don't come if your knitterly life revolves around Red Heart's newest yarn line, you will not be happy. I refer to yarns such as these as NOC(Nails on Chalkboard), vile string posing as yarn that I will not allow to contaminate my stash. So there!

3 comments:

Pensguys said...

I tried to post there to let her know you aren't the ONLY yarn snob around these here parts. ;) I couldn't think of anything nice so I chose to keep it short like I did.

You go right ahead and snob away...I'll be right there with ya.

Marjorie said...

I've found that it doesn't always cost an arm and a leg to get beautiful yarn. Even barring sale prices, there are some very nice yarns that are affordable. I particularly love Filatura di Crosa's Zara. Berroco's Pure Merino seems to be a thicker option.

To encourage new knitters to forsake A.C. Moore, I suggest the house brands at WEBS (I bought the Stockbridge, which is quite nice) or even KnitPicks. I know the true yarn snobs don't always like KnitPicks, but I found Elegance to be pleasant to work with--and the yarns are definitely better than acrylic. I might also add that I can't see the fascination with Lion Brand Yarns either.

But if you are going to spend hours and hours knitting something, the yarn should match your effort.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. Actually, it's *because* I don't have gobs of money that I choose to target it toward only exactly what I want. Why spend *any* money on what I don't want, seriously? And yes, thanks to the internet, it's possible to get good deals sometimes on really good yarn.