Monday, April 7, 2008

There she is...Ms.Yarn Harlot



Jeez, where do I begin. O.k., so like a month and a half ago I signed up to go a speech/book-signing in Atlanta. Mrs. Stephanie Pearl Mc-Phee, which,no, I do not think is a cursedly long name, was there courtesy of Knitch one of the best yarn stores I have ever been in.
I was meeting a friend from the same geological area even though we had never met. Such was our determination to have a friend and make sure we fought off others to get good seats. BTW, it was Penny who actually did the seat getting/claiming/fighting, I shopped till almost the last minute,thanks Penny.
We got friggen good seats! Second row almost directly in front of the podium! A hallowed place. There were, they told us, 700 knitters there!! You could believe it when standing in line at Knitch or on the street waiting to get into the theater, which BTW was located behind a Ben and Jerry's you actually had to go through the store to the back where the theater entrance was. Somebody smell conspiracy here?


Here is Penny and I, or is it me and Penny, or perhaps Penny and me..oh crap who cares.I hate self-taken pictures, I have a face that looks like a squashed pancake, oh well, I was a very happy pancake. I tried to take a picture of Stephanie holding her sock and taking a picture of all of us but I couldn't quite get it.And you can't really see the sock, it's behind the microphone. Here's my sock staring adoringly at Stephanie's sock and wishing she could trade places.


Stephanie's voice is lower than I thought it would, which sounds stupid, I don't know what I expected her to sound like. She did say arse a couple of times, which really was great:)
I can't really tell too much of the talk because I could never be as funny and meaningful as she was but also because I don't want to ruin anyone else's time.

Here's a pic of Stephanie signing books.


Now this my personal favorite picture. Me and the YH herself holding one another's socks. The best thing about this is when as we were posing and shifting around Stephanie sqeezed the yarn and looked down at the sock and asked me what yarn it was and......said that she liked it, it's pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I nearly fainted from joy. I lowly knitter that I am had picked a yarn that she liked! She hadn't, as far as I heard asked about anyone else's yarn but she liked mine!
I know this makes me insufferable or mildly insane but it was a 'flappy-hands, fan girl' moment that will probably never happen again. Not for lack of trying though :)
I had books signed and it the trip was definitely worth the 3.5 hours drive. I'll post about my yarn aquisitions later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice report! Came over here from Steph's, and enjoyed seeing she'd survived. ;) You and your friend look very happy (no pancake resemblance, really); and the pic of you and Steph together is great!

And your sock yarn does look like it's fantastic. ;)

Pensguys said...

HI! I found your blog through Ravelry. Here's mine. I look better in your picture and you look better in MY picture! LOL

http://classicalknittingcorner.blogspot.com

Meredith said...

Thanks monicapdx for the comment and the pancake assurances :)
The yarn btw is from The Purled Llama, the line is called Dulce and the colorway is "Strawberries and Cream".

Bobbi said...

What a cool picture, and I loved your sock adoring her socks' place and wishing to swap places. At least you are knitting socks on Dps, right? I got the dangly thing going with circs.